Gramp Camp 2025 -- Featuring dead relatives!


First stop on Memory Lane Day was Mt. Calvary Cemetary, the resting place of generations of Kokes.  My mother would have loved being in the shade of a Douglas Fir.  These, of course, are William's great grandparents. 



Next stop:  My ancestral home on Washington Street in Eugene.   I regret it now, but I didn't want to photograph it.  Why?  The whole neighborhood was drop dead gorgeous.   I couldn't believe my eyes -- what was a fine neighborhood when I lived in it has become a fabulous neighborhood now.  Fabulous!   My heart is still singing!  

Then a few blocks away to what Grandson refers to a hippie food place, we had a fabulous lunch in a restaurant called Cornucopia.   It was across the street from a church.  I asked the waiter if he knew anything about the church because it wasn't there when I lived there.   

  Rather the space had been occupied by the old Eugene High School.  Really old-- it was used as a junior high when I was a kid.  Its where I got a polio vaccine as a 5 or 6 year old.  Covid vaccines are reminicent -- long lines waiting for the first vaccine.


What's funny about this is that the wait staff person couldn't believe any one remembered the old building and he took me inside to show me an old-timey photo they had on the wall of their restaurant.   Gawwwwd I must really be old.

   Great little non-chain restaurant called Cornucopia.... wonderful food for all, but especially the Frogger for William.   Sprite, a lime slice lilly pad and a Gummi-Frog.  

The drink picture kind of captures the vibe of the restaurant.  Just our style.

A couple of days later, in Yachats, Oregon, we visited the grave of my sister-in-law, Judy Koke.   She choose her own final resting place with an incredible view of the Pacific Ocean.   My brother will 'join' her when his time comes. 

 Everyday we express gratitude for the lives we've lived, for the opportunities to show our grandson these things.   We know he will only retain fuzzy memories, but memories at least..


  WOYAYA




Comments